Low Level Laser Therapy , commonly known as LLLT, cold or soft laser, or laser phototherapy is a therapeutic physical modality which uses photons (light energy) from visible and infrared spectrum for tissue healing and pain reduction. The therapuetic light energy can be produced by either LED (light emitting diodes), SLD (superluminous diodes, or super bright LEDs), or low level laser diodes.
HOW DOES IT WORK???
All cells respond to light. Whether it’s a skin cell, muscle cell, nerve cell or blood cell, all cells have light sensitive molecules called “chromophores” that react to light. Cold laser therapy works by sending a targeted concentration of light several centimeters below the skin’s surface. The light gets absorbed in the mitochondria (the energy power plant of the cell) , resulting in increased ATP production. ATP plays an important role in helping cells repair damage. When soft tissue is injured, the lack of oxygen and nutrients to the affected area can slow down the healing process. When light enters the cell, nitric oxide (NO) also gets released. Nitric Oxide helps open up the cell to increase blood flow to the area (vasodilation).
RESULTANT EFFECTS OF LLLT
- Decreased Pain
- Improved Blood Circulation
- Decreased Inflammation
- Decreased Edema (swelling)
- Increased Metabolic Activity
BENEFITS OF LLLT
- Helps relieve acute and chronic pain
- Reduces inflammation and swelling
- Increases blood flow to damaged areas
- Helps to promote faster wound healing
- Targets damaged or injured cells and helps to restore them to healthy cells
- Stimulates nerve function
SOME ACUTE AND CHRONIC CONDITIONS THAT CAN BE TREATED WITH LLLT
|Arthritis||Back Pain||Carpal Tunnel Syndrome||Fibromyalgia|
|Headaches||Knee Pain||Neck Pain/ Whiplash||Nerve Pain|
|Plantar Fasciitis||Repetitive Strain||Shoulder Pain||Sprains/Strains|
|Swelling||Tendonitis||TMJ Pain||Wound Healing|
- Pregnant patients
- Over any suspicious or cancerous lesions, or active carcinoma
- Over the thyroid gland
- Over areas recently injected with steroids or anti-inflammatories
- Direct irradiation of the eye
Cold laser therapy has fewer contraindications than ultrasound or electrical stimulation. The laser can treat patients with pacemakers or lack of sensation. It can also treat over metal, plastic or bone.